Site hosted by Build your free website today!
Name: Leonard Harbaugh
Sex: M
Birth: 10 MAY 1749 in Hellam Twp., York Co., PA
Death: 11 SEP 1822
Residence: Washington, DC
Burial: Congressional Cemetery, Washington, DC
Leonard Harbaugh moved from York Pa., sometime between 1775 and 1780,
and resided in Baltimore, Md., up to 1781, when he moved to Washington, D.C.
During the time he was in Baltimore, he constantly engaged in building of every kind--
churches, taverns, dwellings, warehouses, and bridges.
He is credited by descendants with the building of the first apartment house in Baltimore.
In the spring of 1782, the commissioners of the city of Washington gave a
contract to Leonard Harbaugh for the erection of a stone bridge
over Rock Creek on a line with K Street.
The bridge was a three arch structure, and was defective, so fell down, hence a public loss.
Another structure was built over Rock Creek about 1800 of wood,
which was only temporary. The commissioners of Washington and
the corporation of Georgetown cooperated in the construction of another
stone structure at K Street according to the rules.
This structure stood and Leonard was the builder of the first arched bridge in America to stand.
The contract for the building of the Treasury Building was let to Leonard Harbaugh
in November 1798 for the sum of $39,511 to have it completed by the first of July of 1800.
He owned a hundred in lots in Washington ranging in price from $300-$800. This was a large accumulation of property, since wages were around $2.50 at that time. He had lost most of this property by 1802, probably in his efforts to make good the loss to the government of some of the bridges. It seems from many records, that he was the business partner of George Washington, at least their names appear on several papers, as reported by Mrs. Marion Dwight Harbaugh, who has done considerable research upon this. In a letter written by his son, Benjamin, Feb. 4, 1853, we find that Leonard occasionally preached and exhorted in religious assemblies in the church under the charge of Rev. Otterbein. In consequence of some misunderstandings, occasioned by heavy draft of his times and means, he withdrew himself from the church and congregation. --Harbaugh History, by Cora Bell Harbaugh Cooprider, 1947, pp. 259-260

Jug Bridge An engineering marvel for early America Inscription. In 1800, travelers expected to ford rivers or use ferries that were slow and often risky in bad weather. The Baltimore and Frederick-Town Turnpike Company, building the first leg of the National Road in 1805, set out to revolutionize American roads. One of the results was an amazing five-arch stone bridge across the Monocacy River. Leonard Harbaugh built the bridge in 1808 for a cost of $55,000. Mr. Harbaugh's signature was a distinctive stone "demijohn" placed on the bridge's east end, giving the span its name the "Jug Bridge." A demijohn was a popular bulbous, thin-necked bottle that often held whiskey. Rumors persist that a real jug of whiskey was planted inside the stone version. The Jug Bridge served faithfully well into the automobile era, but a collapse in 1942 led to a new bridge. (Sidebar): Marquis de Lafayette America's hero, Frenchman Marquis de Lafayette, crossed the Jug Bridge in December, 1824, entering Frederick on his triumphal U.S. tour fifty years after the Revolutionary War.
Jug Bridge Memorial Park and Monument
Frederick, MD 21701
In 1965, this 10- ton stone demijohn was relocated from the site of a Monacacy River stone arch bridge, which was constructed in 1808-1809 by Leonard Harbaugh, as part of the toll road to the West. This bridge was the site of a decisive Civil War battle which delayed Confederate General Early's march to Washington, D.C.
His Lordship's Kindness Background Owned and operated by the John M. and Sara R. Walton Foundation, Inc., Poplar Hill on His Lordship's Kindness is one of three structures in Prince George's County designated as National Historic Landmarks. Originally named "Poplar Hill," its present name is derived from a 7,000 acre land grant from Charles Calvert, the third Lord Baltimore, to Colonel Henry Darnall in 1703. The current mansion was built between 1785 and 1787 by the Colonel's great grandson, Robert Darnall. Description Poplar Hill on His Lordship's Kindness was built between 1785-1787 and is one of the finest examples of late Georgian architecture in Maryland. The house was constructed by Robert Darnall, designed by James Hogan and Leonard Harbaugh, with plaster work by David Guisheard. The present home replaced an earlier home on the property called Poplar Hill. The name, His Lordship's Kindness, was derived from a 7,000 acre grant in 1703 from Charles Calvert, the third Lord Baltimore, to his relative, Col. Henry Darnall, Robert Darnall's great-grandfather. The home remained in the Darnall family until 1929. In 1955, John and Sara Walton purchased the house and property from the Arch Diocese of Washington, and then in 1988, the John M. and Sara R. Walton Foundation, Inc. was formed to preserve His Lordship's Kindness for the public's use. The house opened for public tours as a historic house museum in 1991. Now included as a National Historic Landmark, the Foundation's mission is to preserve and interpret this structure by maintaining its buildings, grounds and collections, by promoting its unique architecture and its family histories through public programs and by sponsoring research to broaden understanding of its role in national and regional history. His Lordship's Kindness is a five-part, brick, late Georgian house with a central block flanked by matching wings and hyphens. It's unique "U" shaped hipped roof, Venetian style windows, fan light windows, and elaborate entrances are striking architectural features. Formal in landscape as well as architecture, today the property of 7.66 acres is surrounded by a 130 acre operating horse farm. The mansion's beautiful grounds include terraces with aged English and American boxwood, a wide variety of deciduous trees including a champion Osage Orange tree and a vibrant aged holly circle. Wandering between the beautiful plants and trees are our peacocks, who delight adults as well as children with their beautiful plumage and startling calls. Also, on the property are a number of historic outbuildings including a privy, smokehouse, dairy/wash house, and a pigeon cote. In the rear of the property is a small family cemetery containing graves of some of the past inhabitants of His Lordship's Kindness. Guided tours of the mansion and grounds are given on a regular basis. Special tours, involving specific topics with a focus on family life or architecture can be arranged. Special events and public programs are scheduled throughout the year on a monthly basis from March through December. Hours of Operation Thursdays and Fridays: 10am-4pm Sundays: Noon-4pm Other times by appointment. His Lordship's Kindness 7606 Woodyard Road Clinton, MD 20735 301.856.0358
The Carpenter and the Crocodile Garrett Power, University of Maryland School of Law2 Published in Maryland Historical Magazine, v. 91, no. 1, spring 1996, p. 4-15. Document Type: Article Abstract Pre-revolutionary Baltimore Town grew rapidly in commerce and population. Its harbor on the Chesapeake Bay served a larger trading area than any other American seaport at the time. In the 17770s two young fortune seekers - Leonard Harbaugh, carpenter and Christopher Hughes, silversmith - arrived in Baltimore from Ireland. This paper explores the role that each played in developing Baltimore's physical, monetary and legal landscape. Recommended Citation Power, Garrett, "The Carpenter and the Crocodile" (1996). All Faculty Publications. Paper 297.

Jug Bridge Monument

Frederick, Maryland

In 1804, to assist the farmers in transporting their goods to market, a turnpike was began from Baltimore to Frederick. A resident of Frederick County named Leonard HARBAUGH was considered one of the best stone masons around and was commissioned to build a 65 foot stone arch bridge across the Monocacy River, east of Frederick. Upon completion, he also built this large demijohn, more popularly called a jug. Because of this, even though the bridge was called the Monocacy Bridge, as time went by, it became known as Jug Bridge as did the area around it.

The dwelling, used as a toll house and tavern, still exists and is now a private residence.

The bridge collapsed in 1942 and a higher bridge was built, followed later by an additional bridge when the road became a dual highway, part of Route 40. In the late 1900's, a bus crashed into the second bridge and now only the later and highest bridge is in use.

The Jug was almost forgotten as it couldn't be seen after the higher bridges were built, so it was moved to it's present location at East Patrick Street (extended) and Bowman Road.